Sunday, July 18, 2010

What Have I Done?

My biggest dislike of our house is our kitchen.  The cabinets are the pits.  They are not a good color AND they are tiny.  There is so much wasted space at the top.  Why would the builder not put cabinets in that go all the way to the ceiling...especially in such a small kitchen?  Well, the answer is money.  I am sure it saved him a TON by putting in these sad, sad cabinets.  When we first moved in (8 years ago), the entire house was painted khaki.  The house was new, but was completely finished when we bought it.  Don't get me wrong, it is a great house.  But, the kitchen just isn't big enough...and neither are the cabinets.  About two weeks ago, I got a wild hair to paint the kitchen.  As you can see below, we had painted the walls red after we moved in.  It looked alright, but I just didn't love it. 

*This picture was taken right before I started painting.  It is only the corner of the kitchen, but you get the idea.  Notice the florescent light at the top of the picture.  Do NOT notice the McDonald's take out and other clutter all over the place.  Yes, I am a bad mom that ran by McDonald's to feed my children due to my lack of wanting to cook right before starting to paint.

Here are the contents of my kitchen right now.  That is my dinning room table covered with a red sheet.  At least I was smart enough to take down my curtains before making this mess.

Here is the new color.  I really love it.  It appears to be more yellow in this picture than it really is.  This is due to the horrible florescent light.  I hated that it looked this way, so I called an electrician (friend) that lives down the street.  The next thing I know....
...the florescent light is gone!  Perfect! 

And so I thought to myself, "why not get him to install some floor outlets in the living room while he is here?" Are you beginning to see that one thing leads to another?

Since he was already here, I asked him to take down some light fixtures that will look great if painted black.
You can imagine how stunned Mack was when he returned from a 10 day trip to find his house in this mess.  But, he completely surprised me by saying that the paint looked clean and fresh.  In fact, he told me to have the rest of the house painted!  So, a painter will be here in a week or two to start on painting the living room, dinning room, and hallways. 

Did I mention that I am starting back to work in two weeks?

I have killed myself with this project.  The cabinets are taking forever!  But, I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.
More to come....

Lorri
                                                                                 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see everything finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the new kitchen looks GREAT! Hang in there...you'll be so glad you did this! max & carson must be on the same "diet". lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!