Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Hope it isn't Too Late!

For the last 2 years, I have been meaning to purchase and read Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson.  As Max gets older, I find myself, more and more, confused by his actions. 

Me:  "Why did you lick the brick on the side of the house?"
Max:  "I just wondered what it would taste like."

Me:  "What are you doing?!?  Why are you trying to do that???
(He had two skateboards stacked on top of each other...trying to ride them.)
Max:  "I won't get hurt if I fall.  It's not that high, Mom."


He will try anything.  He isn't scared of getting hurt. 



And the reality is, I have TWO of these creatures.




James Dobson:  "If a toddler can climb on it, he will jump off it. He careens out of control toward tables, tubs, pools, steps, trees and streets. He will eat anything but food and loves to play in the toilet. He makes "guns" out of cucumbers or toothbrushes, and likes digging around in drawers, pill bottles and Mom's purse. And just hope he doesn't get his grubby little hands on a tube of lipstick. He harasses grumpy dogs and picks up kitties by their ears. His mom has to watch him every minute to keep him from killing himself. He loves to throw rocks, play with fire and shatter glass. He also gets great pleasure out of irritating his brothers and sisters, his mother, his teachers and other children." 

This quote tells me that I have no choice but to read this book.  I know I have never met James, but apparently he knows Max and Charlie really well. 



My plan is to start this book today.  Have any of you read it?  I would love to hear your thoughts.

Lorri





2 comments:

  1. Love it, and yes it really helps alot. He just wrote one on Bringing Up Girls that I can't wait to read. We are big fans of Dr. Dobson...not sure my son's fanny is, but hopefully it will help in the long run. My mom read him when I was little and I turned out ok...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. read it and loved it....you'll also LOVE Wild at Heart by John Eldridge.

    read them both this year and tell me what you think.....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!