Saturday, October 23, 2010

You Probably Heard Him...

Screaming. 

Oh my word.  This day started with a challenge.  I took all three children to by Target to pick up presents for the birthday parties we were headed to this morning.  This is a situation that avoid at all costs.  There is nothing fun about taking three small children to Target by myself.  Not at the ages of 7, 4, and 2.  Let's just be honest.  They want everything they see.  Who can blame them?

I can honestly say that neither Max or Annie ever pitched a fit in public.  They were so easy at the ages of 2 and 3. 



Here are Max and Annie at age 3.


Charlie is making up for their lack of causing me embarrassment. 

I knew I was in trouble before we ever got there.  I had to take three children to the toy section of Target....and not buy them anything.  They don't need anything.  I had "the talk" with them on the way to the store.  Max and Annie understood our purpose for this Target trip.  I even had them repeat to me what we were going in there for....and what we were not going buy.  Charlie, however, missed "the talk."  He spotted a Thomas the Train toy and picked it up.  It was all over at that point.  I let him look at it, but then I took it from him and put it back on the shelf.  You may live far away, but I bet you heard him.  He threw himself on the floor and gave out a scream that I didn't know he was capable of.  It sounded as if he had been ran over by the cart.  People came running (Target employees included).  I know they all thought he had fallen out of the cart.  I quickly announced that he had not fallen and that this was his reaction to not getting a toy.  The employees smiled and walked away.  The women, no doubt mothers, just shook their heads.  One mother seemed to be angry at me.  The other two women both nodded as if they understood.  Charlie continued to scream and cry as we walked through the store and while we were checking out.  Several people pointed as us.  Some laughed.  Some rolled their eyes.  It took all of my self-control not to yell at those that were irritated with us.  "What?  You think I am enjoying this?"  But I didn't.  I paid as quickly as I could and got out of there.  By the time we got to the car, he was over it.  It was as if it had never happened. 
 


You know what scares me the most?  He isn't even three yet.  Yikes!

Lorri

*It was pretty easy for me to get over as well...once he hugged me and said, "love lu!"

3 comments:

  1. What do you mean "he isn't even three yet?" It gets worse??! I had nothing, but empathy for you reading this! I have a friend that has three.. She had her 6 month old in the Bjorn, her 2 and 4 year old in that huge race car cart at the grocery store. She was having a hard time steering it and was trying to look for a can of soup. There was a lady tapping her foot at her and the lady when.. "uhhh, is this going to take all day?" My friend look at her and said.. "What part of this do you think is easy? I mean seriously!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh little Charlie...what will we do with you. Lorri this post made me laugh out loud. Just file it away for later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. age 2.5 to 3.5 about did me in with my first. but age 4 was bliss, so hang on. we've all been there! :)the only thing that drives me mad is when other mothers look and say how age 2 and 3 was their absolute favorite. i don't believe it. except they are pretty stinkin cute.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!