Tuesday, February 8, 2011

An Apple A Day...

Source here

...keeps the doctor away.  If only that were true.  My sweet Charlie has been battling the croup for over a week.  Sunday night his temperature went up to 104.6.  That is just plain scary.  We went to see his pedi on Monday and left with a Rx for Tamiflu.  The flu.   Of course, the flu can be just awful.  But when you add the flu to asthma, things get a bit tricky.  So, we have been doing a ton of breathing treatments and a ton of...

...this.


I'm sure he wouldn't mind me showing you pictures of him sleeping on Annie's pink pallet.  :)

Murphy has been keeping him company. 


So while he sleeps, I will be making Apple Dumplings.  Might as well use those apples for something.

This recipe is my favorite.  It was given to me by one of my student's mothers.  She used to leave these warm, delicious dumplings on my desk.  They are absolutely fantastic

*2 large apples
*2 packages of Crescent Rolls (separated into triangles)
*1/3 cup butter (melted)
*1 cup sugar
*3/4 cup Mountain Dew
*cinnamon

Slice each apple into 8 slices.  Wrap each slice in a crescent roll and place in a greased baking dish.
Stir melted butter and sugar in a bowl.  Place onto each dumpling.  Pour Mountain Dew around and between the rows of dumplings.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Maybe these will bring back this.


Lorri

14 comments:

  1. How adorable is he!! Poor guy I hope he gets better soon.
    Great recipe too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, he is too cute - I hope he is feeling better soon! I'm gonna try those dumplings, they sound heavenly!!! PS. Are yall getting more snow Thursday?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are THE most precious pictures!!! AND the dog is almost as cute as Charlie...not quite!! When my kids were little, I secretly loved having them home and ALL to myself to pamper for the day. Sweet memories!! Hope Charlie is better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mountain Dew on apple dumplings?! Craziness!
    Your little guy is so CUTE! That first picture is just too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, you totally threw me with the Mountain Dew - so crazy that I might just have to give it a try - I'm really curious now!! So sorry your cutie pie is so sick - I hope your recipe worked and brings back that adorable smile I see in that last photo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the first picture of your little one is so precious...poor little guy!!! and i have tried this recipe before and it was really really yummy!!! really good with vanilla ice cream if i remember correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we only needed a day to "rest it out" and will be back to school tomorrow. Hope your little one gets gets better quickly. He looks pretty miserable... Poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor little thing! He is so adorable! I'm a new follower! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor little guy! He looks so sweet and peaceful in these pictures, though. As does his buddy, Murphy!

    I'm with Sloan. Mt. Dew? Really?!?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this honestly might be my favorite recipe ever.
    can you tell I'm hungry?

    I WILL make them today for my kids.

    okay, they're for me...but my kids will think I'm doing it for them. :))))))

    MUUUUUUWAH.

    FEEL BETTER, CHARLIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Croup is so scary! So sorry for Charlie! I hope he is better soon. Prayers and hugs!

    The dumplings sound YUMMY!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor little man!!! Prayers for you both! Hope he is feeling better soon!! We've been down the scary croup road before - hang in there and thank goodness for modern medicine!!
    BIG HUGS, Tess

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate when my kids have fevers!!
    Hope he is better soon,
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor, precious little man! I hope he feels better soon. Livie had that all last week and now I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Fun times. I hope he's back to his normal self in no time. Those apple dumplings sound delish.

    About the dishmats, I hope to open an Etsy shop next week, I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!