Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's Happening

Annie


When we brought Annie home from the NICU, she weighed 4 pounds and 8 ounces.


These two pictures were taken when she 6 weeks old.  As you can tell by my hand in the picture above, she was TINY.


We celebrated her 5th birthday in January.  However, it didn't hit me until today that she is not little anymore.  As I walked in to school this morning, I saw the set-up for kindergarten registration.  I know people were staring at me when I stopped (frozen) in my tracks.  Oh my gosh.  I have to register Annie for kindergarten! 


How on earth did 5 years go by so fast?  I just can't believe it.  The days of her saying things like "rockadile (crocodile), pamorrow (tomorrow), and Lylenol (Tylenol)" are almost over. 
That just hearts my heart.


I refuse to believe that there will be a time in the future when she doesn't want to cuddle with me, read with me, or tell me her secrets (even though I know that day will come). 


This little girl is precious...in so many ways. 
She is loving, kind-hearted, silly, confident (yet, shy), and sensitive.    


My hope is that she will always be as happy as she is right now. 



And it won't hurt my feelings at all if she turns out like her favorite "big girl." 



Growing up.  It's happening.  I have to find out a way to make it stop.

Lorri

18 comments:

  1. Ok, getting a little teary over here! Kindergarten registration brings back for me many of the feelings you mentioned. I remembered it like it was yesterday. LOVE how you captured what you're feeling in this post.
    What a beautiful little girl you have.

    BTW, if you find a way...can you shoot me an email and fill me in. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful angel! If you figure out a way to slow down time, let me know! My baby just turned 5, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is so beautiful, and she looks so much like you! you are so lucky to have such a sweet and beautiful little girl! love all of these pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have something in common....my premie babies weighing 3 lbs and 4 are now 35 and big guys!! It's great to see them so healthy and doing well. You sweet thing is just adorable!! i think it makes you appreciate the fragility of like and them even a little (lot) more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Happy Birthday to your sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww, what a lovely daughter you have! and don't worry, even if she goes through a period of not wanting to cuddle and share her secrets, she'll eventually come around! i was like that with my mom for a little while, and now we're best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and your little girl is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. FIVE! Wow! That just seems so big and I know what you mean about them growing up. Tear! Sometimes I just want to cry when I hear that Taylor Swift song, "Never Grow Up". Precious times! Annie is beautiful just like her momma! You look stunning in that pic of you two together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i cried my eyes out when i had to register andrew for kindergarten. my heart sank the first day watching him walk in with his big kid backpack. reading this brought all those memoires back

    ReplyDelete
  10. opps that published before i was done typing. anyway, lovely post!

    xo, Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going through the same thing over here. Why can't they stop growing?
    Beautiful post Lorri!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I promise that EVERY age is fun and has its blessings! My boys are nine and almost twelve. Those ages are great too! Although I miss the smocked jon jons and rubber toed Keds, they still hug and still love their mama!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is so adorable! You both look so pretty in the picture of y'all together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SHe is beautiful! I cannot even imagine having a baby so tiny. That was one of my biggest fears. I knew nothing about babies when I had children and I was convinced I would break them. Luckily, both of mine came out as big as butterball turkeys. Nothing fragile about them. ;)

    Happy Birthday, big girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww she is gorgeous! I was a preemie too, 6 weeks early but I weighed 6 pounds (?) ounces.

    btw I'm new to the blogging world, I hope you can follow:WhatMissLoves

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh! I know it's going to fly by.. I'm trying to hold on!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is absolutely adorable...how do you stand it! Very sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to Register Livie for Kindergarten in two weeks, I know I will cry my eyes out when she leaves on the bus in August... it makes my heart hurt just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!