Friday, June 10, 2011

I Can't Believe I Did That....TWICE!!!

This is my front porch. 
Please forgive how dirty it is (trust me, I am about to explain).
Notice the pot of Gerbera Daisies on the left?  It is about to tople over.  Unfortunatly, I can't fix it.
You see, we have a family of birds living on our front porch.  In the past, the birds that have occupied the nest have been very timid.  These birds are NOT timid...
And they DON'T like people.
Can you see the little babies that hatched last week?  I know this isn't a great picture, but it is not for a lack of trying. 
Last week Annie and I decided to try and get some pictures of the baby birds.  We took the step ladder outside and placed it on the walk way (not on the porch...we didn't want to scare the mom and dad).  I had my camera (with my zoom lens attached) hanging around my neck.  As I climbed up on the step ladder, the mom and dad got angry.  In fact, they must have signaled to their entire family.  All of the sudden, birds were flying all around us.  Actually, they were flying AT us! 
As crazy as it sounds, one of them brushed my check with it's wing. I can honestly say, I was scared! As they began swooping closer and closer to us, we ducked. If only I had remembered to lower my hand that was holding my camera. But sadly, I didn't. I banged my head on the top of my camera...hard!

I was laughing and crying at the same time.  As I stood up to back down off  the ladder, three birds headed our way.  Annie squeeled and we ducked...again.  This time I banged my chin on the camera...HARD!
And so...these are the best (and only) pictures we will be getting of those crazy birds and their babies.
I am not about to try again!
Oh!  And just to irritate me more, they are leaving me with this as a contant reminder.
Oh joy!

13 comments:

  1. How could I not like a blog with a name like Lizards and Lollipops?!? This story is *HILARIOUS*...mostly because I could see that exact thing happening to *moi* (c: You have such a darling little family and I'm looking forward to more shenanigans here...Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, my parents have a backyard full of birds and their nests full of eggs. All their birds are nice though ;) I have actually been a bit jealous that we don't have any in our yard but now I will be happy because with my luck I would get the mean birds!
    Have a great weeekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HILARIOUS!!
    Annnnnd this is why I hate birds.
    We had the same kind on my porch growing up and they would dive-bomb us when we were leaving.
    I know they can be pretty... the babies are sweet... or whatever--
    but after YEARS of the crazy beasts attacking us, I have a real fear of bird now!!
    Seriously, look at my terrified-bird-face at the zoo: http://livingtheerwinlife.blogspot.com/2010/11/day-at-fort-worth-zoo.html

    My husband thinks it is hilarious.... I think he's mean!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those swallows aka devil birds?!? We have them every year - they are so mean! I'm impressed you got as close as you did! Watch out for mites! Btw, you're porch is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your front porch!! And I am so glad you DIDN'T fall of the ladder as well!! Maybe the birds will move on one day soon, surely they will outgrow their little nest lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word! What a hoot! We have some mean birds here too, and they completely freak me out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. real live actual "angry birds" ... who knew?! funny description of your angry bird attack - glad you survived ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! I would have run for the hills. Birds freak me out a little. We had the same problem this spring with some wrens getting into our garage. And then one flew in the house. Fun times. Glad that you made it through the attack with minimal injuries :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm agreeing with Audrey...this is hilarious!! As much a nature lover as I am, and love to watch birds and their nests,....the "boop" is almost not worth it! Glad you are oK with all the bumps. Hope the trauma wasn't too much for Annie! (great pics, BTW...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny! But I'm guessing we'd probably do the same thing as mom and dad birdies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have been crying more than laughing! at least they didn't poop on you too!! how funny. glad you didn't topple off that step stool. maybe you should stick to taking pictures of your own babies! Ha!! :)

    xo, T

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, this cracked me up! I think I would have freaked out and probably fallen off the ladder when the birds started going crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh no! We have a robin's nest at our front door with 3 little eggs in it. We are soooo excited about it, but after seeing this, I'm terrified!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!