Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The First Week

Yesterday was our first day back at school with students.  As you know, I teach first grade.  This year I have 20 students (as of now).  20 first graders is manageable, but the first few months weeks can be a tad bit stressful.  Of course, I believe this time is stressful for all teachers.  The picture below is a perfect illustration of teachers in the summer vs. during the school year.
Along with getting new students, teachers seem to get a lot of new "stuff," too.  New paperwork, new ways to document student success and student struggles, new classrooms, new sets of parents, new schedules.....well, you get the idea.  There is so much going on that I have to work hard not to let my stress show when the students are around.
The amount of work we have to do in the beginning of the school year gives the old saying of "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" a whole new meaning!
By Friday, I expect to completely exhausted. 
But one thing is for sure.  The students are worth all of the time, hard work, and energy that we put into the beginning of the year.  They come in smiling and ready to learn.  And when they leave us?  They have learned to read, write stories, add, subtract and so much more!  In fact, they make so much progress that we are continued to be amazed year after year. 
With that said, I am heading to bed for some much needed rest.  :)
Lorri


12 comments:

  1. Ha! Both my parents were teachers and two of my children and one daughter-in-law are, so I HEAR you!! Hope it gets better!!
    PS. I am so behind in blogging but you commented about my grand-daughter's jacket. Her mother got it in Sarasota in a little shop during spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Working in education, I totally understand! It is hard in the beginning, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just tired thinking about it! Last year I wrote a post called "teacher tired" it's exhausting because it's mental and physical exhaustion. We are currently in our teacher inservice/professional development this week and next and then we have kiddos in a couple of weeks. My sister-in-law teaches first grade, too. Bless your heart! Hope you have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started following you in the summer so I did not know you were a teacher. Best wishes. I love all the cartoons. My son is in kindergarten in a few weeks. We're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all these pictures, too funny! I am always so tired during that first week too, my husband can only laugh at me continuously falling asleep on the couch every night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize you were in first grade...me too! I am already super exhausted just from teacher work week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you guys start back early.
    Here's hoping to an awesome year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i can't believe you are already back! i would be so thrilled if you were my child's teacher. i bet parents are over the moon when they find out their kids are in your class. first grade is SUCH a big year too. best of luck to you this school year. i don't know how you teachers do it, but us non- teachers are ever so grateful!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great school year! (& is that your adorable puppy?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck with your new school year!!! I remember the excitement and stress of those first few weeks in the classroom. How did your baby girl do on her first day?

    ReplyDelete
  11. thinking about you this week....teachers are HARD workers!!!

    been thinking about your mom....hope she's doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, now this is so hilarious! You are so witty.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!