Friday, October 7, 2011

I May Have Missed My Calling

Even though I enjoy teaching my sweet first graders, I think I may have discovered a new love.  Unfortunately, teaching the little lovebugs comes with a HUGE little bit of stress.  Typically the stress isn't from the students, but from all the other "stuff" that teachers have to do.  These days it seems that every time I mark something off my To-Do list, I add two or three more things to it.  There are sooooo many days that I feel like this:
Now don't get me wrong.  The little lovebugs are worth every bit of the "stuff."  Watching them learn and grow is priceless.  Seeing a child go from not knowing the letters of the alphabet to reading is very rewarding!  The hugs, smiles, and giggles remind me of the most important things in life.  But unfortunately, teaching is not just about teaching anymore (because I like you, I will save that topic for another day). 
But THIS...
...is stress-free.  I don't know what it is about taking pictures, but I love everything about it!  It's like therapy!  Being the type of person that I am, this is shocking.  Usually I continue to stress myself out about something until I have conquered the task.  With this, I haven't.  I don't really understand which settings I should choose or why I should should choose it.  I haven't spent hours reading about photography or watching videos on YouTube.  Instead, I just pick it up and go with my gut.  Granted, I don't always get the exact look I am going for, but it is still fun! 
Thanks to my sweet hubby, I can now get my therapy again!  My camera died about a month ago an the cost to repair it was outrageous!  Instead, I got the camera above.  Happy Birthday, Anniversary, and Merry Christmas to me!  
Lorri 

5 comments:

  1. oh wow, lorri - i'm so excited for you, what a worthy splurge!!! your photos are always so fabulous, and now they'll be over the top i'm sure - i'm looking forward to hearing how you like the T3i ... what lens do you usually use? i'm struggling with that decision (I have a 50mm/1.4 and am looking to add one more), so if you have one you're crazy about let me know!! congrats on your new 'therapy' - can't wait to see the results!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new therapist is very handsome ;) How exciting to have a new friend. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    I hear ya {and feel your pain} on the extra teaching "stuff" these days. It's getting over the top crazy!

    Have a relaxing weekend ~
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photography skills.

    I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I totally get the stress that comes with teaching. I could go on and on about it, but I won't. It is rewarding and I feel blessed to help change a child's life, but unfortunately it's not all about teaching anymore.
    Second, I've always been impressed with your photography skills. Awesome! I have a DSLR but never seem to capture the sweet photos that you do. I love photography and wish I had more time to learn the craft but until then I just snap away for the fun of it!
    Third, I didn't know how to reply back to the gracious comment you left on my blog. It made me cry. I was so nervous about sharing that post and comments like yours made me feel at ease. You totally understood. I can't thank you enough, dear friend!
    Fourth, I think this is the longest comment known to man. I will stop typing now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you have a knack for it, for sure!! I always admire your work.

    As for the "stuff" that goes with teaching, I think its there with many jobs now a days..doing the job of two because of money etc. I know it's there in nursing for sure. We spend more time on the computer than looking at our patients because Medicare/caid = government won't pay unless you have computerized charting. The system is not a good one and takes a huge amount of time. It was supposed to be made to help avoid errors but causes so many more. Just lots of "stuff"....so I commiserate! I just want to take pictures too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!